Forgotten Atlanta Public Schools – E-J

Atlanta Public Schools long forgotten with names E-J will comprise the subject of this blog post. Though I have been researching forgotten APS schools for well over a four months now, I am still shocked and amazed by the sheer amount of schools I never knew existed. Starting with….

New East Atlanta School 1919
Courtesy of the Atlanta Constitution 1916 newspaper article.

Written By:  Kia Guest-Holloway

East Atlanta School (1909 – 1995 ):

The East Atlanta School was erected during a time where the neighborhood of East Atlanta began experiencing an explosion of growth. New subdivisions, public library, and fine stores began to emerge around 1913 and 1914 including the opening of the new school servicing the area. East Atlanta School officially opened its doors September 1, 1915, providing schooling for children up to the seventh grades. East Atlanta school was designed by architects Battle and Burrill, costing the city $15,000. By all accounts, it was considered to be state of the art compared the original APS schools of yesteryear. East Atlanta school would enjoy eight large classrooms, indoor plumbing, and toilets, as well as a steam heating system.

East Atlanta School’s completion came as soon as East Atlanta became annexed into the city Atlanta in 1909; prior to the annex into the city of Atlanta, East Atlanta was a part of Dekalb County. The new elementary school was the only school in East Atlanta during its infancy. However, according to my research, a newer building was erected in 1916 but the school was mentioned in the local papers as early as 1909; this creates a confusing narrative.

Toward the 1930’s, East Atlanta School would be renamed as John B. Gordon, a Civil War brigadier. The hue of the student body would ultimately change during the desegregation of APS schools and subsequently, the school fell into disrepair. It would finally close its doors in 1995 and remained empty for several years. Falling prey to arson, vandalism, and trespassing by curious on-lookers. As a native Atlantan who resided in East Atlanta, my family would often pass by the abandoned relic of a time once forgotten. John B. Gordon would remain abandoned until a devastating fire in 2014 gutted the building. The devastation led to the building being demolished and replaced by swanky apartment homes. Thankfully, the apartment building repurposed salvaged bricks and brilliantly used them in the design and construction of the new apartments that now occupy the space.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Edgewood Elementary School (1892 –

The Edgewood Avenue Elementary School manages to remain in operation 125 years after its initial opening. While it currently operates as housing for Inman Park residents (13 lofts), it is refreshing to see its splendid architecture preserved and enjoyed by over time by several generations of Atlantans.

Edgewood Elementary opened in 1892 just in time for the newly minted Inman Park. It narrowly escaped disaster after a nearby fire from a cottage nearly set the school ablaze in 1900.

More will be added soon…..


  1. White, Susie. 1915. “EAST ATLANTA IS VERY PROUD OF NEW SCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Sep 26.
  2. “LETTERS FROM SCHOOL CHILDREN ABOUT THEIR SCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Nov 05, 1911.
  3. Acheson. “EDGEWOOD AVENUE SCHOOL AND ITS SUCCESSFUL WORK.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Mar 03, 1897.

Forgotten Atlanta Public Schools – Schools A-D

Over its 140-plus years of existence, the Atlanta Public School System managed to evolve from just 6 schools in 1872 to well over 40 schools in the twentieth century. In the previous posts, I focused on the very first schools to open in 1872 with the newly created Atlanta Public School System. While those six schools were the first, several others would open a few months, year, and even decades after the first schools to open. Though some of the schools are still in operation, most of the schools were later abandoned or completely forgotten about. It wasn’t until I conducted further research (utilizing old newspapers, books, and the city directories) that I discovered dozens of early nineteenth and twentieth-century schools in Atlanta that I had never seen nor heard of. For the purpose of this blog, a brief synopsis of each school will be provided if known.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

George W. Adair Elementary School (July 2, 1912 – 1960’s):

Construction of the new George W. Adair Elementary School (previously mentioned here George W. Adair Elementary School Post ) was completed during the summer of 1912 and was designed by then, up-and-coming architect, Edward W. Dougherty. The school opened it’s doors in September of 1912, as was described as being one of the “handsomest in the city.” The school site was presented to the city by George and Forrest Adair. Adair Elementary school is nestled in the Historic Adair Park neighborhood. An in-town neighborhood subdivision initially designed by George W. Adair in the late 1890’s, but continued by his sons George and Forrest Adair in 1910. George W. Adair Elementary remained in operation until the 1960’s.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Ashby Street School (1911 – 1994):

Ashby Street School originally opened in 1911 as an all-white school.  Children grew vegetables in the back of the schoolAs the West-End neighborhood changed in demographics due to the 1917 Great Fire, white student enrollment changed dramatically by 1918. Due to a declining enrollment in white students, the school board voted to close Ashby Street School and reopen as a “school for Negroes,” July of 1919. According to The Atlanta Constitution, only 9 white families owned their homes in the West End at this time as well. Due to the changing demographics, Ashby Street School was reopened as predominately African-American for the 1920 school term. The first principal of new African-American school would be H.L. Green, followed by Mrs. Harriet Randolph Bailey. In addition to traditional grammar school classes, Ashby Street School also provided schooling for the deaf community as well.

By the late 1920’s Ashby Street School would become the largest school African-American students in the Atlanta Public School System, and in the entire state of Georgia. As segregation caused African-American’s to have very few options in terms of places to live, the influx of African-American’s caused a storm of hateful actions by neighboring whites and the Ku Klux Klan. The KKK would firebomb Ashby Street School in 1922 with another mysterious fire gutting the building in 1926. Ashby Street School would be rebuilt in 1928 using the remaining walls that survived the 1926 fire.

Ashby Street School was renamed as E.R. Carter in 1944 after the cherished Atlanta Reverend, E.R. Carter who presided over Friendship Baptist Church for more than 50 years.  Toward the end of 1975, the school board wrestled with closing E.R. Carter as well as the R.L. Craddock schools. The decision was met with anger and protests by West End residents as they realized the closing of Carter and Craddock would leave local children without an elementary to attend.  The school remained open until 1994 when it finally shuttered its doors. As of 2015, the abandoned school has been converted into a multi-million dollar Families First Resource Center. It is great to see a historic building become repurposed rather than bulldozed for another run-of-the-mill office building.

Battle Hill School ( the early 1900’s? – Late 1960’s?):

Not much is known about the Battle Hill School located in the West End part of Atlanta. A 1922 Atlanta Constitution article states that the Board of Education voted to abandon Battle Hill school and provide a new annex at Lucille Avenue school that would accommodate Battle Hill attendees. The school was deemed dilapidated in 1955, and the Community Civic group begged the local community for assistance in updating the old wooden frame.


Bell St School 1911 Sanborn Map
Bell Street Public School. 1911 Sanborn Map


Bell Street School (1900 – 1940):

Bell Street Elementary opened in September of 1900 in hopes of relieving the overcrowding of Ivy Street, Calhoun Street, and Marietta Street schools. Similarly to Ashby Street School, Bell Street School initially served the white community before transitioning into a predominately African-American school. When it first began, Bell Street held classes upwards to the 7th grade.

Bell Street School would operate until 1940 before it was demolished to make way for the Grady Homes housing projects. Students who attended Bell Street School would later enroll in Younge Street School, making it one of the largest elementary school for African-American students in the 1940’s.


Boulevard School (1888 – 1922):

in 1887 children residing near Boulevard in the Fourth Ward district were without a school to call their own. Due to lack of accessibility to neighboring streets, Fourth Ward children were barred from attending neighboring Calhoun Street school. Due to the hazards of nearby streets and the need to accommodate local Boulevard children, the Board of Education voted to build a new school on the corner of North Boulevard and Irwin streets for the Fourth Ward children to attend.

In 1888, the Boulevard school officially opened its doors at the site of the “Beerman Lot.” In 1891, two new rooms would be added to accommodate the growing student body. Somehow, the Boulevard school managed to survive the Great Atlanta Fire of 1917, only to be reduced to cinders the night of February 19, 1918. It is believed that the school caught fire due to a defective flue. By the time local firemen had arrived, the wooden frame had morphed into a “seething furnace of flames,” injuring a few firemen who dared to battle the blaze. Unfortunately, the school was a total loss, and a new fire proof replacement had to be built.

Four years after a new Boulevard School was erected, the school would be bought by Morris Brown College in 1922 for $60,000. Former Boulevard pupils would be transferred to the Faith school.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Calhoun School ( 1883 – ?):

The Calhoun Street School was in built in 1883, with a capacity of 443, at least eleven years after the first APS schools opened in the winter of 1872. Keeping with the tradition of naming schools after the streets for which they were built upon, the Calhoun Street school was located near the Currier and Calhoun Street. Calhoun Street is now known as Piedmont Avenue, not too far from the location of the State Capitol.

A 1922 Atlanta Constitution article discusses the consolidation of the old Ivy Street school (student body total: 300) with the Calhoun Street School (student body total: 382) into a facility with the capacity to hold 1,000 – 1,200 pupils. The replacement school would be named Ansley Park.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Carrie Steele Logan Orphanage (1888 -):

Though not a traditional school in the sense of an Atlanta Public School system school, the Carrie Steele Logan Orphanage gets and honorable mention since it is listed as a “colored public school” in the Atlanta City Directory. Founded in 1888 by former slave Carrie Steele Logan, the orphanage provided educational needs to some of Atlanta’s most destitute orphans. Mrs. Steele – Logan started the orphanage after growing concerned with the incredible amount of homeless African-American students in the downtown Atlanta area. Initially, the orphans were housed in an abandoned box car; after a few years of fundraising through donations and sales from her autobiography, Mrs. Steele-Logan was able to secure enough funds to build a permanent location for her orphanage in 1892.

Located at 301 E. Fair Street (later named Memorial Drive), Mrs. Steele served as the director of the orphanage until her death in 1900. The orphanage’s location would remain in its original location until 1963 when it was moved to a much larger location of over twenty-three acres of land on Roy Street in Atlanta. In 1950, Carrie Steele Orphanage was renamed as The Carrie Steele – Pitts Home in honor of the Clara Maxwell Pitts who served as director from 1909 to 1950. Today, the Carrie Steele – Pitts Home is located on on Fairburn Rd. and still operates as a safe haven for orphaned children and runaways. Children are still offered a place to become educated, but also learn life lessons, employment skills and receive religious teachings as well. Though not an official public school, the Carrie Steele – Pitts Home serves as an important asset to the schooling of Atlanta youth.


Center Hill School WPA built 1936
Center Hill Elementary School


Center Hill Elementary School (September 1934 – 1983?):

Works Progress Administration (WPA)  constructed an elementary school for African-American students in the Fall of 1934. Not much else is known about Center Hill other than it was included in the 1982 listing of APS schools in need of shutting down.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Commercial High School ( 1889 – 1947):

Commercial High School’s history is littered with instability. While most early APS schools moved several times before settling in a permanent location, Commerical High School may have been relocated more than Boys High School.  Before the mandated co-educational ruling in the 1940’s took place, Commerical High was actually the first co-ed high school in the city of Atlanta.  It was also the first high school to focus on business related curriculum, in hopes of preparing students for the changing job market. Commercial High was the brainchild of Mrs. Hamilton Douglass, a Girls High School instructor who saw a need for business-oriented curriculum. She noticed the commercial, business and industrial growth of Atlanta and saw a need to prepare students for the changing markets. Mrs. Douglass took her ideas to the school board, and in 1889 the board implemented business-related courses such as stenography, accounting, banking and typing courses.

The board appointed Mrs. Douglass to head the business department of Girls High School.  In 1907, after 18 successful years, the department was expanded and reorganized. As the department expanded, the need for a larger space was critical. In 1910, the departments’ 147 students and 5 teachers moved to a rented space in the St. Philips Cathedral on Washington Avenue and changed its name to English-Commercial High. The high school was featured in the Atlanta Constitution in 1913 detailing the cramped conditions of the students and the need for more funding to pay for the proposed new school lot on Washington and Woodward Avenue. The new school would cost $75,000, yet only $10,000 was deposited toward the new building. Meanwhile, while funds were being secured, English Commerical High students moved into the old rickety wooden structure of the former Crew Street Elementary. At this time, the Crew St. school building would easily be over 40 years old and in ill repair.

By 1915, English Commercial High had grown significantly with the consolidation of the business department of Boys High School. The student body total was now over 220 students. Finally, after much delay, the new English Commercial High moved to a rented building at  232 S. Pryor Street (later named Pryor Street) and would go on to acquire abandoned homes on the same strip of Pryor Street to build more classrooms and an auditorium. However, despite the added space English Commercial High would face more overcrowding issues in 1923. By 1947, the school was shut down due to overcrowding and the newly implemented co-educational school system for high schools. High schools would no longer be separated by gender, therefore English Commercial High was now obsolete. What’s more, schools began to incorporate the same business based curriculum along with the traditional curriculum,. Lastly, many parents found the downtown area to far to commute and far too dangerous for students to attend. English Commercial High was ultimately demolished in 1982; the only thing Commercial High alumni were left with were distant memories.

Cooper Street School (1922 – 1973):

Servicing the diverse working-class Mechanicsville neighborhood, Cooper Street School was built to accommodate the overcrowding of the Formwalt school.

Craddock School Artist Rendition

Craddock School (1889 –  August 12, 1982):

The Craddock school was a primarily African-American school dating back to the 1880’s. However, Craddock Elementary was known by another name prior to being renamed in 1954 after Robert Lee Craddock in 1954, after a popular African-American religious and civic leader who resided in the Gray Street community. Upon its opening in 1889, Craddock was originally named Gray Street School, the first all-brick school structure built specifically for African-American’s. Some residents also referred to the school as the Fifth Ward school, which was a popular phenomenon at the time due to the school board naming schools for the wards they resided in. At the time of its opening in 1889, then Superintendant Slaton described Gray Street School as one of the finest schools in Atlanta.

Craddock remained operational until the mid-1970’s when then Superintendent, Alonzo A. Crim discussed closing the Craddock school in 1975 (along with E.R. Carter and  F.L. Slaton schools). The decision was met with anger and protests from local parents, who cited the decision as racially motivated.  The protests worked, as Craddock remained open until February of 1982. By March of 1982, the Board of Education officially shuttered Craddock’s historical doors. Unfortunately, the old Craddock school would burn to the ground one hot summer in August of 1982.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Crogman School (1923 – 1979):

Located at 1093 West Avenue in the ‘Pittsburgh’ area of Atlanta, GA, the Crogman school began within the Gate City Church until an explosion of enrollment forced the school to find larger accommodations. Local citizens managed to collect over three hundred dollars toward the purchase of land for the building of larger quarters. The new, two-room school would be eventually be built at the corners of Ira and Mary Street. But, it too became too crowded and a newer, larger facility would be purchased off the corner of Windsor and Arthur streets. But, the Crogman school would ultimately move a third and final time after Clark Atlanta University donated land for the construction of a larger school, this time located at the corner of Fletcher and West View Avenue. This would mark the name change for the school from the “Pittsburgh” school to the William H. Crogman, after the first African-American president of Clark Atlanta University, who also happened to live in the Peoplestown area, adjacent to the Pittsburgh area.

In addition to being the first African-American president, of Clark Atlanta University, Dr. Crogman was the first African-American teacher to teach at the Freedman’s Aid Society in South Carolina. He would then travel to Atlanta to earn a degree at Atlanta University. He would later become the first Professor at Atlanta University when it first opened on Whitehall Street. Dr. Crogman passed away in 1931 and would be remembered as a well-respected Professor with an illustrious career.

After years of overcrowding, the Crogman school would ultimately expand in 1950. Tucker & Howell Architects would add an additional 13 classrooms plus a state-of-the-art cafeteria/auditorium to a tune of $209, 968. Unfortunately, due to the drastic decline of enrollment, not to mention deterioration of the original facility, Crogman School was closed in 1979. The Butler Street Y.M.C.A. would go on to lease the Crogman school in 1979 as youth programs facility. After years of being occupied by the Y.M.C.A., the school would ultimately be transformed into loft living spaces which is how the former school is being used today. Luckily, the Crogman school was saved from demolition, a rarity in Atlanta lately.

Davis_Street_School Faculty Members 1903 (AHC)
Davis Street Faculty. In the foreground, a glimpse of the original wooden frame of the Davis Street School. Photo circa 1903.

Davis Street School ( 1887 – 2016):

Built in 1887 on donated land from the city of Atlanta, the Davis school opened with just 6 small rooms. Originally located on the corner of Thurmond and Spencer, the Davis Street School would often appear in the papers as a school with deplorable conditions. The hallways of the school would flood whenever it rained, due to the drafty building, over 90 students were reported ill during a particularly brutal winter in the early 1900’s. The building’s conditions were so rough, that the principal had to wear a rain coat and use and umbrella in her office during rain storms.

Due to the constant rezoning of school districts and the rapidly growing population of Atlanta, the Davis Street School would constantly face issues of overcrowding as would the majority of the first crop of  19th – century Atlanta Public Schools. The school would go on to add additional rooms throughout the early half of the 20th-century, but it would do little to remedy the overcrowding issues. One interesting factoid about the Davis Street School is it being utilized as some sort of guineas pig for the introduction of physical education in public schools. After besting every APS elementary school (white schools) in May Day activities, the Davis Street School was the first of its kind to receive playground material. Swings, balance beams, see-saws, etc., were installed in 1901.

By 1928, talks of converting the school into an African-American elementary school began circulating.  In April of 1928, the Atlanta Board of Education began to discuss and set forth a proposal to abandon attempts to keep Davis Street School as an all-white school due in part to the large settlement of African-American families nearby. By the late 1940’s, Davis Street School (and various previously all-white schools) was in near shambles. The front yard of the school was covered in weeds and trash decorated the front lawn.

Davis Street School Covered in Weeds 1948
Atlanta Daily World newspaper article detailing the poor conditions of Atlanta’s black public schools. Davis Street School’s condition is described above. Circa 1948.


Davis Street School would experience a remarkable renovation over the course of several years; beginning with its name. One year after the death of distinguished philanthropist Mary McLeod Bethune in 1955, Davis Street School was officially renamed as Mary McLeod Bethune School (or Bethune School) in May of 1956. Over the course of 3 decades, the school would have experience expansion projects to accommodate the growing student body. In the year 2000, Bethune Elementary underwent a $10 million dollar renovation project with state-of-the-art computers, software, lighting, etc. Unfortunately, the school is currently slated to shutter it’s doors now that attendance is down. More than likely, it is due to the gentrification of neighboring communities.

Decatur Street School ( February 27, 1872 – ?):

Locating information for the Decatur Street School was absolutely painstaking, and yet after days of research, I could only find the school listed in the  1874 Atlanta City Directory. Subsequent volumes of the Atlanta City Directory do not mention Decatur Street School at all, even as early as the 1880’s. In 1874, Decatur Street School enrolled 226 students, a much smaller student body than the other seven Atlanta Public Schools in 1874.

Further research revealed that in September of 1874, Decatur Street School was reopened as a primary school, with the previous student body being transferred to Ivy and Calhoun Street schools. After this small blurb in the Atlanta Constitution, not much else is mentioned. This is a school I’ll have to revisit.

































  1. “GEORGE ADAIR SCHOOL READY IN 30 DAYS.”. 1912 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jun 02.
  2. Little, Jessie. “Battle Hill School.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 15, 1900. 1,
  3. “HERE IS COMPLETE SCHOOL BUILDING PROGRAM FOR CITY.”. 1922 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Mar 16.
  4. “NORMAL SCHOOL OPENS MONDAY.”. 1905 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Aug 20.
  5. William Douglas, Staff Writer. “Memories of Commercial High Grow Dearer and Fonder.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Jan 29, 1984.
  6. “OLD CREW ST. SCHOOL WILL BE USED AGAIN.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jul 31, 1913.
  7. To Start Clearing Slums for Grady Homes Project.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Jan 14, 1940. 1,
  8. “FIRST PICTURE ENGLISH COMMERCIAL SCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 28, 1912.
  9. “CORNERSTONE OF NEW ASHBY STREET SCHOOL LAID WITH THE MASONIC CREEMONIES.”. 1911 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 02.
  10. “SCHOOLS WILL USE OLD HISTORY BOOK.”. 1919 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jun 27.
  11.  “Ashby St. School Re-Named For Late Rev. Carter.”. 1944 Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Aug 11.
  12.  Mason, Herman Jr. Black Atlanta in the roaring twenties. Place of publication not identified: Diane Pub Co, 1997.
  14.  “FIRE CUTS SCHOOL ON ASHBY STREET.”. 1926 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Dec 23.
  15.   “FINANCE COMMITTEE-HEARS RITCHIE PLAN.”. 1927 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Feb 15.
  16.  “E. L. Connally Elementary School is Dedicated here.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), May 07, 1976. 3,
  17.  Acheson. “FORMWALT STREET SCHOOL IS GROWING VERY RAPIDLY.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Mar 02, 1897.
  18. Sam Hopkins Constitution, Staff Writer. “Book Closes on Old School.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Aug 13, 1980.
  19. “Formwalt Preservation Sought by Cook, McNeal.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Nov 28, 1943.
  20.   “Davis Street School Abandonment Urged as White Institution.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 11, 1928. 8,
  21. Weaver, C. L. “Hazards and Neglect Handicap to Schools.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Sep 26, 1948. 1,
  22. BOULEVARD SCHOOL PURCHASE IS VOTED.”. 1922 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), May 31.
  23. “MORRIS BROWN BUYS BOULEVARD SCHOOL.”. 1922 The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jul 01.
  25. Hancock, Herman. “Your City Hall.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Mar 21, 1948.
  26. PETER SCOTT Journal, Staff Writer. “Old School Buildings Still House Education.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Jun 24, 1979.
  27. “Crogman School …Closing Marks 69 Years of Service.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Sep 13, 1979.

Eternally Forgotten Atlanta Public Schools – Pt. 3 – The First schools for African-American students


One cannot escape the ugly atrocities of segregation in the public school system. Due to segregation being not only the law, but the norm, the City of Atlanta opened just 2 schools for African-American students. They weren’t separated by age or gender as the white schools were and were often faced with overcrowding and dangerous conditions. For this section, I will discuss the first African-American schools in the Atlanta Public School System.

Summerhill School The Oldest Negro School 1897 Article
The Atlanta Constitution Article from 1897, detailing the history of the Summerhill School.

Summer Hill School ( 1867 – 1980’s):

Despite being declared the city’s oldest school, I found it very challenging to find in-depth articles about the Summerhill School. In 1897, the Atlanta Constitution declared the Summerhill School to be the oldest Negro school in the city. Though it is often erroneously declared as 1872 being it’s official opening date, it has been proven that Summerhill School actually began in 1867 thanks in part to the Freedman’s Bureau. However, it was grouped in with the five white’s only schools that opened in 1872, after the official opening of the Atlanta Public School System.

The neighborhood for which the school was named for, has a rich and interesting history. Summerhill was one of two post-Civil War settlements established in 1865 by William Jennings, whose earliest inhabitants were freed, slaves and Jewish immigrants. Summerhill would soon welcome a game-changing visitor, Massachusetts native Frederick Ayer. After spending most of his early life as a teacher and missionary to the Ojibway Native Americans, Ayer traveled to Atlanta, Georgia to continue his missionary work which included building a school for freed slaves. Ayer’s description of Atlanta in 1865 was a depressing and sad description. Many residents (white and black) were starving, still suffering from the aftermath of the Civil War. Smallpox was rampant, and crime was on the rise. Perhaps the scenes of desperation and despair sparked Ayer’s desire to found a Congregational church. The church would ultimately inspire Ayer to build the first school for African-American’s, located at Richardson and Martin Street.  The school would go on to operate for 3 years until the Atlanta Public School system purchased it in 1872, renaming it what we know today as the Summerhill School. Summerhill would soon see another first, naming C.W. Hill as it’s principal. C.W. Hill would become the first African-American principal in Atlanta, GA.

As the city of Atlanta grew, so did the need for schools to house the increasing number of student. African-American students were only afforded the option of attending two schools initially, however, a few more would ultimately open in the 20th century. Despite the new schools, African-American’s were often crowded into one room buildings or dilapidated wooden structures with little to no ventilation. What’s more, African-American students weren’t offered the option to attend grammar school and graduate to high school. Most schools for African-American’s housed all grade levels. The disparities between white and black communities were pretty obvious. As more and more schools for whites were erected, black students were often left out in the cold — both figuratively and literally.

In 1909, an article in the Atlanta Georgian stated that Summerhill School housed over 800 students! Overcrowding in Atlanta’s schools was an epidemic of mass proportions. In addition to overcrowding, many of Atlanta’s older school houses were falling into ill-repair, Summerhill was one of the many schools condemned due to its poor structure and overcrowding.  The Summerhill school didn’t receive plumbing until 1910 until then outdoor, public restroom facilities were utilized and water was derived from a well. A 1915 Atlanta Constitution article exposed the ugly truth behind the deplorable conditions of some Atlanta Public Schools. The article’s author felt that the taxpayers had a right to know how the Board of Education was spending their money. The Summerhill School was described as bursting at the seams, which children crowded into tiny classrooms and even in hallways. These were the children of the domestics who lived in Summerhill and often worked in nearby neighborhoods as servants, maids, and nannies. Summerhill was also home to successfully wealthy African-American’s as well. Collectively, all residents paid taxes and therefore should have adequate schools for their children to attend.

In 1923, Summerhill School was renamed as E.P. Johnson Elementary with principal J.V. Drake presiding. Rev. Edwin Posey Johnson (1849-1929) happened to be one of the most prominent African-American pastors in the city and would be a part of Atlanta University’s first graduating class. Understandably, the school would be renamed in his honor. By 1927, the former Summerhill School was facing the subject of overcrowding once more. African-American’s demanded that board add more schools for black students and add on to the current schools that are operational, with E.P. Johnson on the list. E.P. Johnson would go on to host African-American students until its closure in the 1970’s. Unfortunately, the original E.P. Johnson/Summerhill school was demolished in the 1980’s after being abandoned for over a decade. At the time of its demolishment, the Summerhill area was ladened with crime, poverty and slums areas.  Many have credited its downfall with the induction of the highway system and the building of the Fulton County stadium, which displaced many Summerhill residents. The Summerhill area would witness a resurgence in popularity with the 1996 Olympic Games, BeltLine project and new Georgia State University purchase of the Turner Field stadium.

Pic of E.P. Johnson School
Photo courtesy of Skip Mason, contributing editor of the Atlanta Daily World (1931-2003). Photo published in 12/31/2000 article
Google Image of Current Martin St.
Current View of where E.P. Johnson school would have stood. E.P. Johnson Elementary was demolished in the 1980’s according to historian Skip Mason.


The second school to open African-American’s, after Summerhill School, was Storr’s School. While I found it very challenging to locate in-depth information about the Summerhill School, it was even more challenging to locate enough information on the Storr’s School. As I continue my research and compile more information, it will be added to this post. Until then, the information posted below is what I was able to research so far.

Brown Jackson Family
1870’s photo of the First Congregational Church, where the private Storrs School was housed.

Storrs School (1865 – 1930’s?):

The origins of the Storrs School is just as intriguing as the Summerhill School. Storrs School is difficult to locate on the Sanborn maps mostly because it actually began as somewhat of a private school inside of the First Congregational Church in downtown Atlanta. Originally located at Houston street (which is now named John Wesley Dobbs) until the late 1870’s, Storr’s school operated as a private school for African-American students post-Civil War.

Founded by the American Missionary Association in 1865, the Storrs School got its name from a monetary gift it received from the Storr’s Congregational Church in Cincinnati, Ohio in the 1860’s.  Missionaries from both the north and the midwest would ultimately migrate to the Storrs School (located inside the church) to provide educational services to freed slaves. The AMA maintained possession of the Storr’s School until around 1877 when they handed over possession to the newly minted Atlanta Board of Education at the cost $5,000. Interestingly enough, Atlanta University was also founded out of the same church as the Storrs School.


First Cong. Church Sanborn Map 1899
1899 Sandborn Map showing the location of the First Congregational Church.

Stories about the acquisition of the Storr’s School by the Board of Education vary. It appears that the school was owned by the AMA, they took possession back, then resold it to the Board of Education. But, a  January 1890 Atlanta Constitution article contradicts the story of the acquisition of the Storr’s School. According to this article, the Board of Education voted not to purchase the Storr’s School after white residents protested. The article also mentions that the school had been abandoned at this time because the American Missionary Association no longer considered the education of African-Americans to be missionary work. According to the residents of the ward, having a “negro school” in their white district would be a nuisance, therefore the school would have to find another location. Until a new location was purchased, the Storr’s School remained closed. The AMA informed the Board that if a new location wasn’t purchased in time, they’d have to repurchase the school in order to continue providing educational services to the nearby students. By the 1930’s it is reported that the Storrs School had officially closed with its students scattered about the Atlanta Public School system; some of the former Storrs School students would later enroll into the “Gate City School,” also known as Houston Street School. It was frustrating to see so little information concerning schools for African-American’s in Atlanta. More in-depth research will certainly ensue.



  2. SKIP MASON, Contributing Editor. 1999. “Three Atlanta Neighborhoods: Summerhill, Washington Park, Vine City.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Jun 13, 5.
  3. “10 NEGRO SCHOOLS ASKED OF BOARD.” 1927.The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Aug 10, 5.
  4. “Pioneering Black Atlantans.” 2000.Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Jul 16, 5.
  5. McCRAW, VINCENT. 1982. “First Black Public Schools.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Feb 11, 1.
  6. “Storr’s School.” 1877.The Daily Constitution (1876-1881), Oct 10, 1.
  7. “CITY CHEMIST TO ANALYZE IT.” 1904.The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Aug 16, 5.
  8. “TO OPEN SCHOOL IN EIGHTH WARD.” 1904.The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Dec 16, 9.
  9. “THE STORR SCHOOL PROPERTY.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jan 14, 1890.

Eternally Forgotten Atlanta Public Schools – Pt. 2 – Girls & Boys High

Girls_High_School Undated
Girl High School, downtown Atlanta located on Washington Street. Undated.


In “Eternally Forgotten Atlanta Public Schools – Pt. 1 – Elementary Schools,” I discussed the early history of the Atlanta Public School system, officially opening its doors in 1872. Once it opened, APS had opened 3 elementary schools and two high schools for Caucasian students. Over time, more high schools would open and ultimately boys and girls high schools would go on to be consolidated into one school by the late 1940’s. This post will focus on the very first boys and girls high schools opened 1872.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Girl’s High School ( Feb. 5, 1872 – 1945?):

Girl’s High School, originally located at 66 Whitehall Street on the corner of Whitehall and Hunter Streets, served as the first and only high school for girls in 1872. Most students who graduated from the first three grammar schools (Ivy Street, Crew Street, and Walker Street) would have enrolled in either Boys or Girls High School. When the school first opened, 171 girls, were enrolled. That number would more than double in later years. At this time, both Boys High and Girls High occupied the same shop building until a permanently constructed schoolhouse was built; the 1878 Atlanta City Directory lists the combined schools as the “Atlanta High School.”  In 1873, Girls High was moved to the John Neal Home (the John Neal Home would be later demolished in 1928 to make way for Atlanta City Hall) as it was still without a permanent home located at the corners of Washington and Mitchell Streets. Finally, in a three-story brick building would be erected behind the John Neal Home in 1888, where Girls High would remain until January 1925. Little did the students of Girls High know, this final move would not be their last.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Due to robust growth in Atlanta’s population, the city of Atlanta began to expand which brought on a demand for more land. Also, as a result of the booming population, Girls High began to burst at the seams with student enrollment.  Let’s not forget the poor conditions of the school, with it dank, dark and poorly ventilated classrooms Girls High was long overdue for new facilities. Petitions for a larger and more state-of-the-art facility were soon underway. Board of Education President Walter Daley declared in 1912 that the Girls High facility was a “monstrosity,” and “…and embarrassment to the City of Atlanta.”

In 1920, Atlanta’s Major Key deemed the old Girls High building as “unfit,” declaring that a new building is underway with an anticipated opening date of 1922. At an estimated $500,000 (in 1922 of course), the new school promised to afford both students and teachers with every comfort imaginable. Unfortunately, the new school’s grand opening would ultimately be delayed due to funding issues.  Unbeknownst to most, the Boys High School (now known as Grady High) was under construction at the same time a Girls High. Since it would be deemed illegal to borrow funds from the Boys High school construction, further building plans for Girls High would be delayed for another year or so. Delayed twice in 1923, the new Girls High couldn’t fully open its doors until January 5, 1925, with 750 pupils enrolled. Girls High School’s new location would officially be listed as 745 Rosalia Street in the Grant Park area.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Serving the Atlanta area as the premier school for high school girls, Girls High enjoyed almost thirty years of operation at its new location. Girls High would even become pretty famous in the 1930’s after a visit from then-Presidental hopeful Franklin D. Roosevelt. Students would be able to enjoy classrooms suited for upwards of 35 students, a grand library with 14,000 books, and more importantly, electricity, indoor plumbing, and heating. The typical curriculum at the time consisted of business management, sewing, cooking, home economics, housekeeping, and music.

By 1947, Girls High would no longer exist as the new co-educational community high school program would go into effect. Schools would no longer be separated by gender,  thereby moving the Girls High student body into Boys High. This would lead to the renaming of Boys High as what it is better known as today – Henry W. Grady Highschool. The old Girls High school would later be named as Roosevelt High School. After 75 years, Girls High became a distant memory in the minds of modern Atlantans.


Boys High 1909_AHC
Early location of Boys High School. Circa 1906. Photo courtesy of the Atlanta History Center.


Boys High School (January 1872 – 1947):

Boys High School endured a very unstable past from its inception to the time that it ultimately was converted into a coed facility in the late 1940’s. Before finally settling into a permanent location, Boys High School’s faculty, staff, and students would move a total of eight times by 1924. It’s final chapter, however, became a proud history. I have a personal connection to Boys High that I will discuss later in this post.

Boys High endured a rocky start, similarly to Girls High, as it shared a department store facility with Girls High. Additionally, Boys High was located in the basement of the newly built Girls High, on the corner Washington and Mitchell street before moving into its own building. The first principal of the newly opened Boys High was William F. Slaton (1874 – 1879), who would eventually move on to become the superintendent of Atlanta Public Schools in 1879. From the very beginning, Boys High experienced overcrowding and dangerous conditions.


Boys High School_1899 Sanborn Map
1899 Sanborn Fire Map location of Boys High. The school would remain here until a fire gutted the original building in 1923.


Boys High original wooden structure would be deemed too dangerous to remain open, therefore the city of Atlanta decided to build a more modern, fireproof structure for Boys High. In 1894, Boys High would no longer be located at Washington and Mitchell Streets; the new Boys High would now be located at the corner of Courtland and Gilmer streets, replacing the old Toon house. The Toon house belonged to a confederate soldier named Joshua J. Toon, who moved to Atlanta in 1860 and built the home with confederate money (to the tune of $25,000). After Toon’s death in 1893, the city of Atlanta purchased the land to be utilized as the new location for Boys High School. According to monthly reports in the Atlanta Constitution, Boys High pupils were some of the brightest and most talented students in the state of Georgia. Many would go on to become college graduates, influential businessmen, and local elected officials. Perhaps the school’s curriculum reputation is the reasoning behind the ample amount of school applicants it would receive each school terms. Whatever the reason, one thing is for sure, the school board grossly underestimated the steady growth of Atlanta Public School enrollment, with the total number of students enrolled reaching 20,000 by 1896, the board quickly realized that Boys High could not enroll each student that applied, due to the limited seating. To remedy the issue, talks of building another school for high school boys began to surface.

Boys High Too Expensive 1904
August 27, 1904, article in the Atlanta Constitution.

In 1908, the local newspaper published an article concerning the poor conditions of the old Boys High School. The old wooden structure was plagued with no fire escapes, rickety framework, dilapidated staircases, poor ventilation,, overcrowded classrooms, and infestation of vermin. By all accounts, the school board was justified in its claims of condemnation of Boys High. Journalist Steven Johnston insisted that the board of education should appropriate more funding to provide more adequate curriculum, safe conditions and competitive pay for faculty. Overall, it appears that Boys High was in need of a more than a facelift; it needed a complete overhaul.

In addition to complaints of overcrowding, the cost of operating Boys High began to cause a stir around the city of Atlanta. In an August 27, 1904, Atlanta Constitution article, the school board complained of the soaring costs to operate Boys High due to its dual programs (business, classical, and technological programs) and overcrowded classrooms. To remedy the issue, in 1909, the technological portion of Boys High moved into the then abandoned Marietta grammar school building, while the traditional college preparatory based Boys High, remained in the same location. By moving the technological portion of Boys High, the board managed to remedy soaring operational costs, but it did little to remedy the overcrowding issues. Several articles pleading and urging the board to appropriate funds for a new building were published from 1911 – 1915. Built for a class size of 200, Boys High was now housing over 400 students by 1911. In 1912, Tech High’s new location within the old, ramshackle Marietta grammar school was literally falling apart as well. With the roof caving in, and the building itself threatening to fall down, many urged the city to provide a new location for Tech High as well.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

By the 1920’s, the cries and demands for a new building for both Tech and Boys High were answered. Construction for the new school began in the Spring of 1923 which a scheduled grand opening in January of 1925. In order to save costs and remedy the overcrowding concerns, the board voted to house both Tech High and Boys High into one building in 1924. Unfortunately, due to a devastating fire, Boys High would once more find itself in makeshift, temporary housing. Boys High moved into the abandoned Walker Street grammar school building until the fall of 1924. After the Fall of 1924, Boys High would move into its final location on Charles Allen Drive and 10th streets. Citing the successes of merged Hoke High and Commercial High School, APS superintendent H.R. Hunter approved the idea to combine both Tech High and Boys High under one roof. Tech High would occupy seven-eighths of the new building Boys High would occupy just under three-fourths of the new building.

The new school building would be able to accommodate up to 1,500 students, with at least 40 classrooms, a stark difference from the original tiny school house. The size of Boys High School wasn’t the only drastic change. In addition to a large facility, the newly consolidated Tech High and Boys High would now be known as Henry W. Grady High School. Former Tech and Boys High students recall the literal white line drawn on the back of the school to separate both schools. While they were friends with one another, that friendship would be tested when both Tech and Boys High would compete in the annual football tournament. The event was said to draw thousands of onlookers

Over the years, Henry W. Grady High School would go through many changes both physically and internally. Several expensive additions were made to Grady High School including a new auditorium and gymnasium in 1937 ($130,000 price tag; utilizing WPA and bond funds) to accommodate a growing student body. Eight years later in 1945, Henry W. Grady would change internally as well, with the abolishment of separate high schools for boys and girl. The Board of Education voted to convert Henry W. Grady High School into a coeducational institution to accommodate 3,000 students at a cost of $650,000. The merger was finalized in the fall of 1948, marking the official closure of Boys High after a successful seventy-six years in operation. Henry W. Grady High School would go on to become the first high school in Atlanta to integrate (August 29, 1961).


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

As of 2016, there are a little over 430 alumni remaining. Remaining alumni meet occasionally to reminisce about the olden days before Boys and Tech High became Henry W. Grady High School. Many of the Boys High alumni have gone on to become major movers and shakers of Atlanta and elsewhere. Notable alumni would include S. Truett Cathy, Class of 1939 (Boys High School) Founder of Chik-Fil-A, Eric Roberts (Actor) class of 1974, Yolanda King (daughter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr), class of 1972, Richard Lenny (CEO of Hershey Corp) class of 1970, and a host of other political and businessmen and women. After the closure of Boys High and merger of Girls High school, Henry W. Grady High would go on to become one of Atlanta’s public school gems. The school would also go on to make history, becoming the first school in Atlanta to desegregate (August 29, 1961). Grady High School is still in operation today as the magnet school for communications.


  1. NEW GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL PROMISED.” 1920.The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Dec 10, 7.
  2. “Girls High Grads Planning 75th, Final Homecoming.” 1947.The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Apr 30, 7.
  6. Acheson. 1897. “THE SUMMERHILL SCHOOL THE OLDEST NEGRO SCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Mar 09, 4.
  7. Williams, Donna. 1981. “Residents Find New Home A ‘Capitol’ Idea.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), May 21, 1.
  8. Dooly, Isma. 1915. “Committee of Atlanta Men and Women Find Public Schools are Deplorably Inadequate.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 18, 3.
  9. “BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL CONGRATULATED ON 60TH ANNIVERSARY.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jan 31, 1932.
  10. “TOO EXPENSIVE ARE CLASSICS.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Aug 27, 1904.
  11. “Work Will Begin on Boys’ Senior High School Soon.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 13, 1923.
  13. “NEW HIGH SCHOOLS PLANNED FOR CITY.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 09, 1912.
  14. “Hundreds of Children Will be Turned Away from Public Schools of Atlanta Next Year; City Faces Unprecedented, Critical Situation.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Nov 22, 1914.
  15. “TECH HIGH AND BOYS’ HIGH PLEAD FOR NEW BUILDINGS.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Mar 17, 1912.
  16. “CITY SCHOOL LOTS SOLD TOO CHEAP, COMMISSION TOLD.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Nov 08, 1923.
  17. “TECHNICAL DEPT, GIVEN A SCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jul 23, 1909.
  18. Johnston, Steve R., J. T. Wright, and T. D. Longino. “SCHOOL HOUSES ARE CONDEMNED BY COMMITTEE.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Apr 18, 1908.
  19. “$130,000 BUILDING FOR HIGH SCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Sep 17, 1937.
  20. Hancock, Herman. “Board Okays 5 Projects for Schools.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Feb 06, 1945.
  21. Goodwin, George. “Boys’ High Memories.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), May 08, 1983.

Eternally Forgotten Atlanta Public Schools – Pt 1. Elementary Schools

Scenes at the Walker Street School 1915 article

In the 148 years of the Atlanta Public School system (established in 1869 by the Atlanta City Council), plenty of schools has come and gone. Many have been all but wiped from history books of Atlanta’s early years. With the population growth booming in the city of Atlanta, more and more communities realized that new schools must be erected in to accommodate the city’s ever-growing populace. As the city grew, so did the list of grammar and high schools; however, Atlanta Public Schools would also experience the shuttering of doors in the 21st century due to a decline in enrollment of Atlanta Public Schools. Most of the decline can be attributed to white flight, and the economic downfall stemming from white flight. For the purpose of this blog post, I have conducted extensive research on forgotten APS schools, however, since the list is rather sizable, I’ve only provided detailed information on the first 6 schools erected. For a complete list of  forgotten Atlanta Public Schools, please click here: Historical List of APS Schools

Prior to the establishment of public schools, Atlanta (then Marthasville) erected one private school in 1845, a private school located near the Dunnings foundry and the Georiga railroad. Mant Atlantan’s at the time did not hold public schools in high esteem. Feeling that they were too common and lacked the proper educational facilities, private schools were deemed better. That mindset would change and reappear over the years, as Atlantan’s came to love and hate the Atlanta Public School System. The first free school for Atlanta’s white children was called the Holland Free school, opened in 1853. The Holland school was located in the downtown area of Atlanta, between Garnett and Forsyth streets. Built strictly for poor students, parents had to sign an affidavit proving their need for free schooling and lack of resources to pay tuition. As the community grew more favorable of public schools, the Atlanta City Council, spearheaded by Dr. D.C. O”Keefe, voted to create the Atlanta Public School system.

The city of Atlanta scheduled the opening day of the Atlanta Public School System for Tuesday, January 30, 1872, with inaugural opening beginning with the first erected school, Ivy Street School. The Atlanta Public School system, in accordance with the Atlanta City Council,  would go to establish three grammar schools and two high schools in 1872. These schools were free and open to only the city’s white residents. The Freedman’s Bureau opened two schools for African-American student’s in 1866. Thereby bringing the total of educational facilities in Atlanta, to seven.  For the purpose of this research project, I will post a series of blog posts about the first APS schools, beginning with Elementary schools.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Crew Street Grammar School – (Feb. 14, 1872 – Oct. 1957):

Crew Street grammar school opened in 1872, which also happened to be the end of Reconstruction in Georgia. The original structure was located at 97 Crew Street between Washington Street and Capital Avenue, it was the first of the three schools to be built.  Upon opening its doors, Crew Street elementary had 429 students enrolled on the first day. Out of the area’s 2000 students, having 429 students enrolled made Crew Street overcrowded from day one.  The first Crew Street school was built of wood, for around $2,500, which would amount to about $48,118.92 in 2017 costs.  Little did the students of Crew Street School know, the school itself would ultimately occupy several different buildings. In February of  1885, the original Crew Street school building burned to the ground. Unfortunately, the building could not be salvaged, however, thanks to the building being insured the old wooden structure was replaced by another wooden structure worth about  $131, 391 in today’s dollars.

In 1907, a series of articles published by The Atlanta Constitution and the Atlanta Georgian featured horror stories about the unsanitary and unsafe conditions of Atlanta’s first public schools. By 1910, more professionals stepped up to denounce the unsanitary conditions of the local schools; plumbers condemned almost every school erected. Though all of the schools for African-American students were condemned as unsanitary, poorly ventilated and lacking modern plumbing.  After much uproar,  the Board of Education agreed to allocate funding for a newer, more sanitary and state of the art building for the first Atlanta school buildings. Additionally, the board agreed to build more schools to resolve the overcrowding issues in the city.

Crew Street School- Original Architecture
Original 1872 wooden structure of Crew Street grammar school. As featured in 1907 The Atlanta Georgian news article.

By 1911, newly constructed Crew Street school was scheduled to reopen. The new school structure would be erected in the same area as the old Crew Street structure. According to a 1912 Atlanta Constitution article,  the original Crew Street School structure was the oldest in the city. The original school bell would be repurposed in the new structure as the student preferred the old school bell to the new “rapid fire” school gong. The old Crew Street building would serve as a temporary home to the new Commerical High School, until it’s new facilities were completed.

By 1957, the old Crew Street school would be demolished to make way for the new highway system. At this time, the 85-year-old school was still operating functionally but would be one of the nearly 500 buildings to be demolished in favor of the new I-20 expressway. Would Crew Street school be in operation today if it weren’t for the highway construction? It’s hard to tell, but it would have been nice to retain its original structure.

Below, you will see a current view of Crew Street. Capital Avenue is no longer in existence, it was renamed as Hank Aaron Drive (black arrow). Washington Street is to the far right (red arrow), while Crew Street is located right in between both streets.  The highway is located further to the left, off the site of the picture below.

Current View of Crew St.

Ivy Street School – (Jan. 31, 1872 – 1961?):

The second school to be erected in 1872 was the Ivy Street school which opened January 31, 1872, one month before the Crew Street School which opened February 14, 1872. Upon the officially opening of its door, Ivy Street grammar school boasted a robust 479 pupils. Located at 195 Ivy Street (in 1923), the Ivy Street grammar school inaugural exercises were held Janaruay 30, 1872. The picture below was taken from an 1886 Sanborn Fire Map. In 1886 the address for the Ivy Street school was possibly 173 Ivy Street; note the large gardens in the back of the school.

Ivy Street School - 1886 Sanborn Map

In 1905, the city of Atlanta began to reassign students to new school zones in hopes 0f evening out attendance and reduce the overcrowding issues. The new school district is described below:

Ivy Street School - Redistricting 1905
1905 Atlanta Constitution article.

Information regarding the future location of the Ivy Street school seemed to be nonexistent. Though it appears that Ivy Street grammar school changed its name and grade level toward the beginning of the twenty-first century, now listed as Marist College from 1901 – 1961. Due to the rapid expansion of the city of Atlanta, Marist was forced to relocate to the Ashford-Dunwoody area in 1961. Here it would be renamed as Marist School, functioning as a Catholic based military school for boys until 1976. Due to low enrollment in military courses, Marist School switched its curriculum and became what we know of today; a co-ed, Catholic, private college preparatory school.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Walker Street School (Feb. 21, 1872 –  Jan. 1983):

Note: Walker Street is now Centennial Olympic Drive (from North Avenue south to around Mitchell Street)

Walker Street School was the third of the first wooden grammar schools to be included in the newly formed Atlanta Public School system. Walker street opened its doors one week following the opening of Crew Street School. Built to accommodate 400 students (similarly to Crew and Ivy Street schools), Walker Street was also deemed overcrowded upon opening its doors. Walker Street school comprised of students in the Fourth and Sixth wards of the city and was originally located at the intersection of Walker, Haynes and Nelson streets. Its first principal was Professor W.R.  Rockwell, and until 1896 Walker Street School was the largest public school in Atlanta (it would later lose its crown to Fraser Street school in 1896). At the time, the Walker School cost the city of Atlanta a little over $10,000 to build; which would total $192,476 in today’s figures. Quite possibly a steep price tag for a city still recovering from the effect of the Civil War.

Walker_Street_School 1885
Atlanta History Center Digitial Collection. 1882 2nd Grade Class Picture at Walker Street School

Walker Street School would go on to have a very interesting history. In a 1909 article written in the Atlanta Constitution, some 37 years after it’s grand opening, the Walker Street School was listed as one of Atlanta’s oldest schools. The article goes on to mention that the fate of the old wooden structure was unclear due to a new political and financial changes to the city of Atlanta. In 1895 new additions were added to the original wooden structure to accommodate the rising enrollment of nearby students. Contracts decided not to destroy the original building as it would ruin its historical integrity.  Local citizens rallied in support of repairing the school, while some argued that it should be moved a bigger lot. In 1911, it appears the local citizens finally got their wish as the grand announcement of the new Walker Street School was announce in March of 1911, during a grand Masonic celebration. Many former students were attendance and displeased to learn that the original Walker Street School would be destroyed. Flash forward to 1916, the Walker Street School remained as a grammar school, receiving high marks from visiting superintendents.

Scenes at the Walker Street School 1915 articleWalker Street School Picture 1909 article

However, by 1923 the school’s student body had drastically changed. In a 1923 Atlanta Constitution article, Walker Street School was not listed among the 29 Kindergarten schools operating in the city.  Perhaps it had been abandoned at this point, which is plausible considering a 1924 article mentions that Walker Street School would be converted into a school administrative building.  After Atlanta Public Schools became integrated, and more schools were needed to accommodate the growing number of African-American students enrolled in APS schools, the Walker Street School was converted into an elementary school for African-American students. At the ripe old age of 61 years of age, one can only imagine how poorly maintained the school had become.

Walker Street School’s glory days were long over by the 1960’s, as many of Atlanta Public Schools were described as falling apart, depressing, and in ill-repair. By 1972, the school board voted 5-3 to close Walker Street School, as well as two others (West Haven and Haygood).  After shutting its doors as an elementary school, the Walker Street School would operate as the Downtown Learning Center, an alternative school for high school students (165 Walker Street) from 1973 – 1980. Many alumni of Walker Street School hoped for a restoration and repurposing of the old building perhaps as art studios, apartments or lofts. Unfortunately, restoration of Walker Street School would never come to fruition, as a large fire gutted the building in 1983. Prior to the fire, the school had been abandoned by the school system. After the fire, many deemed it unworthy of saving, and the old building was demolished. An unfortunate ending to a school rich with Atlanta history.



  2. Atlanta Public School History.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jan 29, 1922.
  3. Frank, Daniel. “Pioneer Crew St. School to Yield to Expressway.” The Atlanta Journal and the Atlanta Constitution (1950-1968), Sep 01, 1957, Sunday ed.
  4. Mallon, B. “ATLANTA’S PUBLIC SCHOOLS.” The Atlanta Constitution (1869-1875), Oct 14, 1873.
  5. “CITY SCHOOL DISTRICTS CHANGED BY THE BOARD.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jun 23, 1905.
  6. “CREW STREET SCHOOL OPONED CENTRY AGO.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Feb 13, 1972.
  7. “LARGE CROWD ATTENDS THE EXERCISES AT WALKER ST. SCHOOL CORNER LAYING.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Mar 26, 1911, (accessed May 8, 2017).
  8. “WILL BUILD AN ADDITION.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Feb 03, 1896.
  9. “SITE SELECTED FOR NEWSCHOOL.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Nov 29, 1904.
  10. Coleman, George M. “Closing of Cooper and Walker Street Schools Evoke Memory.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Jul 20, 1972.
  11. “Picture of Original Century-Old Walker Street School Sought.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Feb 22, 1972.
  12. “WILL RECOMMEND SCHOOL CHANGES.” The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Sep 07, 1924.
  13. Potter, Pat. “Old Schools: A ‘Rathole’ for Money?” The Atlanta Journal and the Atlanta Constitution (1950-1968), Jul 08, 1962, Sunday ed.

Atlanta Housing Projects: Gone But Never Forgotten – The Story of the Atlanta Housing Projects 1936 – 2011

Capitol Homes Sanborn Map
Capitol Homes as it appears in a 1940’s Sanborn Map (Capitol Homes was completed in 1941)

While the majority of my blog mostly focuses on abandoned historical Atlanta relics, I thought it would be interesting to make a post about a huge gentrification project in the city that drastically changed the landscape of the city. Most transplants wouldn’t know that housing of this nature existed, mostly because the areas have been completely transformed and cleared of ant remnants of what once existed. The huge gentrification project I am referring to was the large scale, housing project demolition spearheaded by the Atlanta Housing Authority. The project began in the late 1990’s (demolishing Techwood Homes and East Lake Meadows), was finally completed in the 2010’s with the demolition of Bankhead Courts. For a complete list of former housing projects in Atlanta, visit Demolished Atlanta Housing Projects. After researching George W. Adair in the book “Atlanta and Environs, Volume III,” I ran across a chapter concerning the Atlanta Housing and Authority and major developer who was credited with building the first set of projects in Atlanta in the 1030’s. This article piqued my interest in completing a little bit of research on the housing projects that I could find.

After researching George W. Adair in the book “Atlanta and Environs, Volume III,” I ran across a chapter concerning the Atlanta Housing and Authority and major developer who was credited with building the first set of projects in Atlanta in the 1030’s. This article piqued my interest in completing a little bit of research on the housing projects that I could find.

Current views of the city of Atlanta show no traces of housing projects. The housing projects of Atlanta are all but wiped from the landscape of Atlanta. Most natives (who are hard to find in Atlanta these days) vividly remember the housing projects of Atlanta. What we have been told throughout history is housing projects were constructed in hopes of erasing slums, increasing affordable housing options for the city’s poor all while improving the landscape of Atlanta; which ultimately evolved into areas blighted with concentrated poverty. However, Harold Martin’s “Atlanta and Environs” reveals an alternate truth behind the implementation of housing projects in Atlanta.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The very first housing projects constructed (federal subsidized housing) in the United States happened to be Techwood homes. Built in 1936, Techwood homes consisted of 1,230 housing units. Prior to the construction of Techwood-Caldwell Homes, the area was home to some of the worst areas of concentrated poverty in the city of Atlanta, named Techwood Flats. Techwood Flats consisted of inexpensive, inadequate rental properties that dated back to the late 1880’s. The Atlanta City Directory revealed that most residents of the area were employed in low-paying service jobs in warehouses or industrial plants in the city. The most common occupations were cooks, dressmakers or washerwomen.

Though we have been told that housing communities were created as a method to provide the poor with affordable and hospitable housing, many developers jumped on the project to earn a quick living. Building sustainable, affordable and safe housing was not a part of the initial plan in their eyes. Touted as a “slum clearance pioneer” by Harold Martin,  Atlanta real estate developer Charles F. Palmer initially jumped on the large scale housing project as a way to make quick cash. Charles F. Palmer also happened to be the very first chairman of the board of the newly formed Atlanta Housing Authority in 1938.

Charles F. Palmer

Charles F. Palmer (courtesy of Library of Congress). First Chairman of the Board of Atlanta Housing Authority. The Atlanta Housing Authority was formed in 1938.

Initially, Charles F. Palmer admitted that he took on the slum clearance project out of an interest in earning money through the removal of slum areas. After all, this was in 1933 as the economy wasn’t at it’s strongest due to remnants of the Great Depression. Banks were closed and nearly 15millions Americans were unemployed (only 1 in 16 were employed). In order to stimulate the economy, President Roosevelt introduced legislation that would provide federal funding for employers who created jobs tearing down and rebuilding some of the nation’s worse slum areas. Palmer jumped at the chance, seeing as he owned office buildings in areas near the slums. Palmer initially assumed that by clearing the slums, property values in his area would increase, thereby making his properties more valuable.

It wasn’t until he began to meet with Dr. John Hope (John Hope homes would carry his name), a prominent African-American educator and civil right leader, and his wife did Palmer have a change of heart toward the slums. Palmer’s wife seemed to question his motivation and asked him if he’d ever visited the slums and understand the people who currently reside there.  Palmer recalled:

“Here were sagging shacks built generations ago. Designed to wring the last cent from their use, for fifty years they had taken all and given nothing. In the rear were stagnant pools of water near an open privy serving several families. People were everywhere. It was the same block after block. Soon I’d had enough. “

Palmer soon switched his focus from earning income by razing the slums, to fighting the slum owners who were taking advantage of the city’s poorest residents. Palmer took his concerns to Washington D.C. and managed to convince President Roosevelt to fund the development of two housing projects in Atlanta; in October of 1933, his efforts were awarded. Construction of the first housing projects community in the United States was underway and completed in 1936. Techwood Clark Howell Homes (designed by architects Burge and Stevens) were built in the former slum areas of Techwood Flats. By 1944, six additional housing projects (all were segregated, unfortunately) were completed. Those communities are as follows:  University Homes (1938), Capitol Homes (1940), Grady Homes (1942), John Hope homes (1940), Herndon Homes (1940) to name a few. By the 1940’s these six housing communities housed 20,000 people in a total of 4,000 apartment homes. The government ultimately invested $21 million dollars into improving housing for the poor in Atlanta. Techwood Clark Howell homes and John Hope homes were aptly named for the two men who were instrumental in the implementation of Charles F. Palmer’s vision of affordable, clean housing for Atlanta’s poorer residents. As a result of Palmer’s vision, Roosevelt passed the Housing Act of 1937, which allowed for local housing authorities in many major and rural cities. Palmer would ultimately resign from his position at the Atlanta Housing Authority to take on a new role as U.S. Coordinator of Defense Housing in 1938 (pgs 35-37).

Techwood Homes Floor Plan

Library of Congress, Techwood Homes Housing Design (initial construction began in 1935)

One cannot ignore the ugly facts about the housing projects of Atlanta. The housing communities were obviously segregated and quite possibly built with many different standards. As white flight encroached, white housing communities racial makeup drastically changed.  Techwood Homes remained an all-white housing project until 1968. Withing 6 years of integration, Techwood Homes was more than 50% African-American. By the early 1970’s local businessmen and politicians began suggesting the demolition of Techwood Homes, replacing it with. If this isn’t an obvious sign of racially motivated politics, I don’t know what it is. Techwood Flats were mostly comprised of low-income, underemployed African-American’s in the 1930’s before being demolished and replaced with the all-white Techwood Homes. It appeared that Atlanta was on track to repeating history, however, the idea of demolishing Techwood Homes in the 1970’s was halted by then mayor, Maynard Jackson.

Unfortunately, federal spending wasn’t designated over the years regarding the upkeep of housing communities, yet Atlanta continued to build low-income housing.  Many of the housing communities were built in cramped areas, containing very little room for upward mobility as a job in these areas were still hard to come by. As a result, crime crept it’s way back in, and once again the pre-housing community slums had returned. What’s more, the Atlanta Housing Authority had become increasingly corrupt and poorly managed. By the 1990’s,  The Department of Housing and Urban Development deemed the AHA to be one of the worst housing authorities in the nation. Ouch!

Atlanta continued to build more and more housing communities, even as late as the 1970’s despite the failure of creation a “Model City.” Was the new purpose of building housing communities to keep African-American’s concentrated in Atlanta and out of Atlanta’s growing suburbs? Why continue to build substandard housing in areas that already contained concentrations of poverty? Wouldn’t the availability of well-paying jobs and equal rights assist with the reduction of concentrated poverty? I suppose only time will tell…..

After years of failed revitalization and high crimes/poverty rates in Atlanta’s local housing communities, as well as the impending hosting of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games, demolishment of the Atlanta housing communities were underway. Additionally, housing project communities had become the subject of a major research project which resulted in Congress establishing a 1989 Commission on Severely Distressed Areas.  Flash forward to 1992, concerned with the increasing crime and poverty in America’s inner-cities, congressional leaders voted to allocate $5 billion dollars toward the revitalization of America’s 86,000 housing project communities (enactment of the HOPE VI program). I’m a bit skeptical of the intentions behind this program, therefore further research will soon follow.

The first to be demolished was Techwood /Clark Howell Homes in favor a newer, more hospitable housing complex titled Centennial Place. After 60 years of use, Techwood would be replaced with a mixed-income housing community with only a tiny portion set aside for former housing project residents. Many former residents weren’t able to return despite being promised a voucher or ticket to rent in the new construction. From 1996 to 2011, the AHA replaced 12 housing project communities, demolished 15, and remodeled the remaining 10 converting them into low-income housing or leaving them available for potential developers. By 2011, Atlanta became one of the only major cities to completely do away with public housing. This move came with much controversy as the AHA was accused of violating the Fair Housing Act (an accusation I truly believe is true) after it was determined that the AHA

Currently, affordable housing in Atlanta is hard to come by. Luxury apartments, homes and condos now stand in areas once occupied by outdated, uninhabitable housing communities. While the housing projects were obviously a colossal failure, the city of Atlanta should not forget that the city is desperately in need of affordable housing for residents who cannot afford the newly constructed condos, apartments, and single-family homes. I doubt that anyone would agree with bringing back housing project communities, but the city should at least offer a larger percentage of affordable housing units so that all residents, from all walks of life, can enjoy the metropolis that Atlanta has blossomed into. After all, it takes all kinds of characters, economic backgrounds, races, genders, and ages to create this amazingly diverse city we all call home. Why exclude certain residents because of their economic status? Is that a reputation a city “Too Busy to Hate” would like associated with its name? I think not…..

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


  1. Atlanta History Center – Atlanta Housing Authority Photograph collection
  3.  Franklin Miller Garrett, Atlanta, and environs: a chronicle of its people and events, vol. 3 (Athens: Univ. of Georgia Press, 2011).

Further Reading:

  3. Chared F. Palmer Collection at Emory University:





Fire Station No. 5 – Circa. Early 1920’s or late 1910’s

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Name: Fire Station No. 5 (Company 5)

Location:  278 Trinity Avenue (formerly Peters Street)

As you may recall from my previous posts, you can tell that the downtown Atlanta area is full of abandoned historical buildings, as well as what remains of a former historical dwelling or building. One of many remnants of Atlanta’s past is the Fire Station No. 5 park located t 278 Trinity Avenue, formerly known as Peters Street.

A further investigation concerning Fire Station No. 5 reveals that Trinity Avenue was not it’s the first location and most certainly isn’t its final location presently.

According to Mike Legeros, author of “Atlanta Former and Historic Fire Stations,” the original location of Fire Station No. 5 was on Foundry and Marietta street in 1871 in a stable. The original name for the fire station, chartered October 15, 1871, was Gate City Fire Company No. 5. However, it’s location on Foundry and Marietta Streets would be temporary until a permanent location was built. Unfortunately, the original building that housed Fire Company No. 5 is no longer standing.

Fire Company No. 5 moved into its new headquarters at 28 E. Foundry Street on February 25, 1879, and remained there until 1882. The cost of the new building was billed at $1,500, which would cost a whopping $34,651.38 in today’s money figures. Unfortunately, Company No. 5 was disbanded on June 20, 1882, when the city of Atlanta created paid fire departments.

Eight years after the disbanding of Gate City Fire Station No. 5 in 1882, Company No. 5 was reorganized on December 1, 1890 with its new location at 44 West Peters Street. The company’s new location appeared for the first time on Sanborn Maps around 1892. Below, you can see that the company was simply referred to as “Engine No. 5.” Company

Fire Station No. 5_Sanborn Map 1892




This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In 1911, the name of Company No. 5’s fire station location on W. Peters street is listed as Atlanta Fire  Department, Engine No. 5″ according to a 1911 Sanborn Map. The map also lists the company as having 11 men and 9 horses.


Fire Station No. 5_Sanborn Map 1911 closer look
1911 Sanborn Map of Fire Company No. 5 – Located at 44 W. Peters Street


In 1921 the Atlanta Fire Station No. 5 is listed in the Atlanta City Directory as well,  including the name of the fire captain at the time. According to the Atlanta City Directory, paid Atlanta fire departments were organized July 1, 1882. The directory goes on to mention the names of the fire chief, captains, lieutenants, etc. for each department.

City Directory listing 1921
Atlanta City Directory – 1921

Perhaps the expansion of the paid Atlanta Fire Department was the catalyst behind Fir Company No. 5’s new building to be erected at the same site as the previous building that housed the company from 1890-1927. By 1928, West Peter’s street was now named Trinity Avenue and the new address for Company No. 5 was 278 Trinity Avenue. Company No. 5 would remain at the 278 Trinity Avenue location from 1927 – 1965.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

On July 1965, Company No. 5 relocated for the 5th time, though it would not be its last relocation. The 1965 location for Company No. 5 was 414 Central Avenue a few blocks away. The original 1927 fire station was deemed “vintage” and no longer suitable for modern day fire department equipment. The old location on 278 Trinity Avenue was demolished and marked with a placard that remains to this day. It is now known as Fire Station No. 5 park, located at the corners Spring St. and Trinity Avenue. Remnants of the brick walls that housed the 1927 Fire Station No. 5 remain visible. Unfortunately, after nineteen years on Central Avenue, Fire Station No. 5 would once again face uncertainty.

In order to make way for new construction of the downtown interstate connector, Fire Station No. 5 was closed after May 24, 1984. As a result of the demolition of the Central Avenue station, Company No. 5 disbanded June 30, 1984. Company No. 5 would go on to regroup as Squad No. 5, becoming the City of Atlanta’s Hazardous Materials Response Team; Fire Engine No. 5 was donated to Fire Company No. 9 and Squad 5 would go on to operate out of Fire Station No. 1. Fire Station No. 5’s building wasn’t fully demolished until 1988. Company 5 would ultimately reorganize in June of 1991 at a South West Atlanta location on 2825 Campbellton Road SW.

The new location would go on to house the most updated, state-of-the-art fire fighting equipment. As of 2001, only a handful of historic Atlanta Fire Department stations remain. Station No. 6 on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive remains and has been converted into a museum for the National Park Service. Built in 1894, and currently located in Sweet Auburn, remained in service until 1991. It is currently a part of the Martin Luther King Jr. historic district and serves as a museum. Museum goers will be treated to the history of Fire Station No. 16, which was the first fire station to be desegregated. African-American neighborhoods were not serviced by all-white fire departments as late as the 1940’s! An article from April 1949 edition of the Atlanta Daily World newspaper, highlights the need for desegregation of Atlanta’s Fire Departments. Fire Station No. 16 museum will hopefully mention this issue as it provides visitors with the history of the Atlanta Fire Department as a whole.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Currently view of 414 Central Avenue, home to the 5th relocation of Company No. 5.

Current View of 414 Central Avenue
Current location of 414 Central Ave – Turner Field Parking Area
Current View of 414 Central Avenue pt 2
Current View of 414 Central Avenue – Formerly Company No. 5



  2. History of Service: Atlanta Fire Department Commemorative Yearbook, vol. 1 (Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001).
  3. Sanborn Maps
  5. “Mayor Ragsdale and Chief Cody Preside at Barbecue as Station no. 5 is Opened.” 1927.The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945), Jul 16, 7.
  6. Jackson, Marion E. 1949. “Atlanta One of Large Southern Cities with no Negro Fire Unit.” Atlanta Daily World (1932-2003), Apr 20, 1.


George W. Adair Elementary School – Circa. 1912

Adair Park Elementary

Name: George W. Adair Elementary School

Location: 141 Catherine Street, Atlanta, GA

George W. Adair Elementary School, located in the historic Adair Pair neighborhood, sits abandoned yet still maintains it’s architectural glory. Upon further inspection, onlookers are treated beautiful architectural design by one of Atlanta’s leading architects of the time, Edward Dougherty. In addition to Adair Elementary, Mr. Dougherty went on to design other notable structures in Atlanta such as Druid Hills Baptist Church on Ponce de Leon, Druid Hills Golf Club, Imperial Hotel in 1911 and the Highland School which has now been converted to luxury lofts. November 18, 1911, the Mackle – Crawford Construction Company was awarded the contract to build the new George W. Adair School in the “tenth ward” for a $34,000; this total would equal at least $843,191.55 in today’s inflation rate. The George W. Adair School officially opened its doors on September 9, 1912.

Adair School Contract_Nov. 18, 1911

George W. Adair school was named for slave dealer turned real estate tycoon Col. George W. Adair. As of 2017, there has been a lot of controversies surrounding the rehabilitation of the Adair School since it now located in a prominently African-American neighborhood. Adair’s ties with the Ku Klux Klan has made some argue that the school should not reopen with the same name, as its namesake wasn’t exactly a part of a business that was deemed friendly to African American’s.

George W. Adair Elementary and the neighborhood that holds the same name wasn’t always a welcoming or friendly place for African-American’s to live and attend school. Compared to other established Atlanta suburbs, Adair Park was mediocre at best. The neighborhood housed thin land lots and modest homes. Residents were typically working class with a sprinkling of middle-class residents. According to the book “White Flight” by Kevin M. Kruse residents complained of the loud, crass behaviors of their neighbors, adding that they can’t enjoy a fresh breeze on their front lawn without the “fighting across the street….and the police running over there two or three times a week” (pg 94).

The school itself has an interesting past. Students gardened, held athletic events (field day), and even hosted a Chinese missionary in 1918. In 1914, two basketball courts were built for boys and girls who attended Adair elementary school. Students helped plant trees and were regularly featured in The Atlanta Constitution for perfect attendance and excellent grades.

March of 1937, Adair Elementary’s celebrated its 25th anniversary by adding an annex to its existing building; the school’s student body remained mostly white as well.  Due to an increase in the residents of the area, the elementary school enjoyed an expansion to accommodate the student body growth, costing a total of $40,000, roughly $689,805.71 in today’s dollars.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

With the desegregation of public schools across the country picking up steam, African-American residents began to slowly move into Adair Park around the mid-1950’s. This drastically changed the demographics of George W. Adair elementary school as white residents refused to participate in school desegregation as well as refusal to sell their homes to potential homeowners of color. By the late 1950’s, racial tensions had reached a boiling point. White residents proudly protested the newly found diversity of Adair Pair, proclaiming that they’d wish for Adair Park to remain for whites only. Some residents even threatened to burn the houses of black residents to the ground ( White Flight, pg 96).  By the 1960’s Adair Park elementary and the surrounding neighborhood had transitioned to a mostly all-African American community. Noticeably absent in the local newspapers is the constant write ups of the Adair Elementary school. One can’t help but wonder if the changing hue of the student body affected the interest of local journalists.



  3. “Adair School Contract Is Let By the Board.” The Atlanta Georgian and News (Atlanta), November 18, 1911, 4th ed. Accessed April 10, 2017.
  4. Reeves, Alexis Scott. 1976. “When White Fear Turned to Flight.” The Atlanta Constitution (1946-1984), Jun 06, 1.

When White Fear Turned to Flight_6-6-1976

M.C. Kiser Shoe Company – Circa. 1923

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Name: M.C. Kiser Shoe Company

Location: 141 Trinity Ave, Atlanta, GA 30303

Downtown Atlanta is littered with ornate, abandoned buildings just waiting to be restored back to their former glory. The downtown area is attracting developers as of late, in hopes of revitalizing the once bustling downtown area. As recently as March of 2016, developers were considering converting historic downtown structures into high-end apartments or lofts. One building, in particular, is the well-preserved former shoe factory named M.C. Kiser Company. Built in 1923, the M.C. Kiser Company was once home to one of the most in-demand shoe manufacturers in the S.E. As of late, the project must have stalled because the building remains empty. Oddly enough, it rests two blocks away from the supposed “Upton Hotel.” After a bit of research, I stumbled across local newspaper articles about the M.C. Kiser Company, detailing its rise from a small shoe manufacturing to a larger show manufacturing company in 1923.

M.C. Kiser Co New Building 1923
Source:  New Home of M.C. Kiser Company Corner of S. Pryor and Trinity Avenue. The Atlanta Constitution (1881 – 1945); Sep 2, 1923; ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Atlanta Constitution pg. B3

The picture above was printed in the Atlanta Constitution on September 2, 1923, announcing the opening of the new home of the M.C. Kiser Company. Advertised as “conveniently located at the corner of South Pryor Street and Trinity Avenue, just two blocks from the main shopping district,” the Shield Bran shoe manufacturing company’s new home would mark its third move in the thirty-year existence of M.C. Kiser shoe manufacturing company. Their new home boasts 60,000 sq. ft., sunlit rooms, brick facade, and terra-cotta trimmings. Below, is a snippet of the article that accompanied the above picture.


M.C. Kiser Co New Building 1923 article clip

Not too long after the opening of the new home to the Shield Bran shoe manufacturer, M.C. Kiser Company boasts even high sales. The article also mentions the company’s previous location, which apparently was located 17 East Hunter Street, which is now known as Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

M.C. Kiser Co Sep 1923

Yet another 1923  article after the company moved into their new location.

M.C. Kiser Co Doing Big Business Nov 1923

The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945); Nov 4, 1923;
ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Atlanta Constitution
pg. C7A


1919 article in the Atlanta Constitution speaking of the successes of the M.C. Kiser shoe manufacturing company.

M.C. Kiser Co Sep 1919